Skip to main content

Class 7: Forms of Verbs

How to use the forms

V1 is mainly used with:

  • Present Simple: I play cricket.
  • After will: I will play cricket.
  • After do/does/did: Did you play cricket?

V2 is used for:

  • Simple Past: I played cricket yesterday.
  • Irregular example: I went to school.

V3 is used with:

  • has/have → Present Perfect: I have eaten.
  • had → Past Perfect: I had eaten.
  • will have → Future Perfect: I will have eaten.

V-ing is used with:

  • am/is/are → I am playing.
  • was/were → I was playing.
  • will be → I will be playing.
  • has/have/had been → I have been playing.

⭐ Important: Regular vs Irregular Verbs

Regular verbs usually form V2 and V3 by adding -ed:

play → played → played
work → worked → worked
clean → cleaned → cleaned

Irregular verbs change differently and need to be memorised:

go → went → gone
eat → ate → eaten
write → wrote → written
take → took → taken

The 4th form of a verb is usually called the -ing form or Present Participle.

Example

FormNameExample: write
V1Base formwrite
V2Past formwrote
V3Past participlewritten
V4-ing form / Present participlewriting

When do we use V4?

V4 is mainly used in continuous tenses:

  • Present Continuous: I am writing.
  • Past Continuous: I was writing.
  • Future Continuous: I will be writing.
  • Present Perfect Continuous: I have been writing.

It can also work as a gerund (a verb ending in -ing used like a noun):

  • Swimming is good exercise.
  • I enjoy reading.

Easy way to remember

V1 → V2 → V3 → V4

go → went → gone → going
eat → ate → eaten → eating
play → played → played → playing
write → wrote → written → writing

 V1- Base         V2 - Past       V3- Past       V-ing 

 Form                                   Participle

understand

understood

understood

understanding

begin

began

begun

beginning

break

broke

broken

breaking

choose

chose

chosen

choosing

drive

drove

driven

driving

fall

fell

fallen

falling

forget

forgot

forgotten

forgetting

know

knew

known

knowing

ride

rode

ridden

riding

ring

rang

rung

ringing

wear

wore

worn

wearing

win

won

won

winning

lose

lost

lost

losing

meet

met

met

meeting

leave

left

left

leaving

feel

felt

felt

feeling

tell

told

told

telling

sell

sold

sold

selling

send

sent

sent

sending

build

built

built

building

learn

learnt/learned

learnt/learned

learning

play

played

played

playing

work

worked

worked

working

walk

walked

walked

walking

help

helped

helped

helping

open

opened

opened

opening

close

closed

closed

closing

clean

cleaned

cleaned

cleaning

watch

watched

watched

watching

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class 7: The Flying Carpet by Pika Nani

The Flying Carpet (Only for Reading) Pika Nani   Notebook Work  Background of the Story The story The Flying Carpet is set in the remote and culturally rich village of Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, India. It revolves around a young girl, Sibsa, and her mother, Sangey, a skilled traditional weaver. The story beautifully blends elements of imagination, family bonds, and cultural heritage. It also highlights the life of handloom weavers and the importance of preserving traditional crafts in a rapidly modernising world. Summary  Sibsa hears a story about a flying carpet at school and becomes fascinated by it. She develops a strong desire to have a real flying carpet of her own. She asks her mother, Sangey, to weave a magical flying carpet for her. Sangey, a skilled weaver, lovingly begins creating a special carpet instead of a literal flying carpet. The carpet beautifully depicts the landscapes, culture, and life of Tawang. Sibsa slowly realizes that the true magi...

Class 8: Unit-8: George’s Secret Key to the Universe

George’s Secret Key to the Universe  Summary Only For Reading) George’s Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking “George’s Secret Key to the Universe” is an exciting story about a boy named George who stumbles upon a world of science and adventure. It all begins when George enters what he thinks is an abandoned house while looking for his pet. Inside, he meets Annie, a girl who lives there, and her father, Eric, a scientist. Their house is full of books and papers, but the most interesting thing George notices is Eric’s special computer, Cosmos. Cosmos is no ordinary computer. It is extremely powerful and can talk! Eric introduces George to Cosmos, and the computer explains that it can compute billions of numbers in a second and knows almost everything about the universe. George is fascinated, but before he can learn more, Cosmos insists that George must take an important Oath. The Oath promises that George will use any scientific knowledge he learns only for good, an...

Class - IX [Moments] Chapter - 8: A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso

Chapter - 8:  A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso Glossary 1. Awkward: strange 2. Freshman: a student in the first year of high school, college or university 3. Isolated: lonely 4. Purring: sound made by cat 5. Swatting: to hit something 6. Stoking the fire: feeding and tending the fire 7. Groping: to search blindly 8. Engulfed: flooded, surrounded by 9. In tow: behind 10. Weird: strange 11. Destined: future developed as per a predestined plan 12. Outcast: a person rejected by society 13. Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person 14. Zombie: a dull and apathetic person 15. Surreal: unreal, strange, bizarre 16. Ripped away: torn apart 17. Vulnerable: weak, easy to influence 18. Plight: sad story 19. Milling around: moving around aimlessly 20. Shove: push hard 21. Curb: edge of the pavement 22. Freaked: behaved irrationally 23. Tragedy: mishap 24. Diminish: fade off 25. Gratitude: thankfulness Overview of the Story: The s...