Skip to main content

Class 7 - Tenses

1. What is a Tense?

A tense tells us when an action happens.

There are 3 times:

Present – action happening now or regularly
Past – action that happened before
Future – action that will happen later

Each time has 4 forms:

Simple
Continuous
Perfect
Perfect Continuous

So, there are 12 tenses.

2. Forms of a Verb

We use four common verb forms while learning tenses.

Form Name Example: 
V1 Base form go
V2 Past form went
V3 Past participle gone
V4 -ing form going

Examples
eat → ate → eaten → eating
write → wrote → written → writing
play → played → played → playing
take → took → taken → taking

Remember:

V1 = basic verb
V2 = past
V3 = used with has/have/had
V4 = -ing form

3. PRESENT TENSE

A. Simple Present

Use: We use it for:

  • habits
  • routines
  • facts
  • general truths

Formula: Subject + V1 + Object

For he, she, it, we usually add s/es.

Examples:

  • I play cricket.
  • They go to school.
  • She plays cricket.
  • He goes to school.

Common words: always, usually, often, sometimes, every day, never

Teacher explanation: "Simple Present tells us about things that happen regularly or are generally true."

B. Present Continuous

Use: An action that is happening now.

Formula: Subject + am/is/are + V4 + Object

Examples:

  • I am reading.
  • She is playing.
  • They are watching TV.

Remember:

  • am → I
  • is → he/she/it
  • are → we/you/they
Common words: now, right now, at the moment

Teacher explanation: "If I am doing something at this moment, we use Present Continuous."

C. Present Perfect

Use: An action that has already been completed or has a connection with the present.

Formula: Subject + has/have + V3 + Object

Examples:
  • I have finished my homework.
  • She has eaten lunch.
  • They have completed the work.

Remember:

  • has → he/she/it
  • have → I/we/you/they

Teacher explanation: "Look at the verb after has or have. We use V3."

D. Present Perfect Continuous

Use: An action that started in the past and is still continuing.

Formula: Subject + has/have been + V4 + since/for

Examples:
  • I have been studying for two hours.
  • She has been reading since morning.
  • They have been playing for an hour.
Since and For:

Since = starting point
  • since Monday
  • since 5 p.m.
  • since morning
For = period of time
  • for two hours
  • for three days
  • for a year

4. PAST TENSE

A. Simple Past

Use: An action that happened and finished in the past.

Formula: Subject + V2 + Object

Examples:
  • I played cricket yesterday.
  • She went to school.
  • They watched a movie.
Common words: yesterday, last week, last year, ago

Teacher explanation: "If the action is completely finished in the past, we generally use Simple Past."

B. Past Continuous

Use: An action that was happening at a particular time in the past.

Formula: Subject + was/were + V4 + Object

Examples:

  • I was studying.
  • She was cooking.
  • They were playing.

Remember: was → I/he/she/it

were → we/you/they

Example with interruption: I was sleeping when the phone rang.
The longer action = Past Continuous

The shorter action = Simple Past

C. Past Perfect

Use: When one past action happened before another past action.

Formula: Subject + had + V3 + Object

Example: The train had left before we reached the station.

First action → had left
Second action → reached

Teacher explanation: "Past Perfect helps us show which of two past actions happened first."

D. Past Perfect Continuous

Use: An action that continued for some time before another past action.

Formula: Subject + had been + V4 + since/for

Examples:
  • I had been studying for two hours before my friend arrived.
  • She had been waiting since morning.
5. FUTURE TENSE

A. Simple Future
Use: An action that will happen in the future.

Formula: Subject + will + V1 + Object

Examples:
  • I will play tomorrow.
  • She will visit us.
  • They will come soon.
Common words: tomorrow, soon, later, next week, next year

Important: After will, always use V1.
  • I will went.
  • I will go.
B. Future Continuous

Use: An action that will be happening at a particular time in the future.

Formula: Subject + will be + V4 + Object

Examples:
  • I will be studying at 8 p.m.
  • She will be travelling tomorrow.
  • They will be playing in the evening.
C. Future Perfect

Use: An action that will be completed before a particular time in the future.

Formula: Subject + will have + V3 + Object

Examples:
  • I will have finished my homework by 8 p.m.
  • She will have reached home by then.
  • They will have completed the project by Friday.

Common word: by

"By" tells us the deadline or finishing point.

D. Future Perfect Continuous

Use: An action that will continue for a period of time up to a particular point in the future.

Formula: Subject + will have been + V4 + since/for

Examples:
  • By June, I will have been studying here for two years.
  • By 5 p.m., she will have been working for six hours.
6. MASTER TABLE – ALL 12 TENSES

Tense Formula Example
  1. Present Simple S + V1 She plays.
  2. Present Continuous S + am/is/are + V4 She is playing.
  3. Present Perfect S + has/have + V3 She has played.
  4. Present Perfect Continuous S + has/have been + V4 She has been playing.
  5. Past Simple S + V2 She played.
  6. Past Continuous S + was/were + V4 She was playing.
  7. Past Perfect S + had + V3 She had played.
  8. Past Perfect Continuous S + had been + V4 She had been playing.
  9. Future Simple S + will + V1 She will play.
  10. Future Continuous S + will be + V4 She will be playing.
  11. Future Perfect S + will have + V3 She will have played.
  12. Future Perfect Continuous S + will have been + V4 She will have been playing.
7. THE EASIEST WAY TO TEACH THE 12 TENSES

Tell students to remember these 4 patterns:

SIMPLE -  What happens?
  • Present → I play.
  • Past → I played.
  • Future → I will play.
CONTINUOUS - What is/was/will be happening?
  • Present → I am playing.
  • Past → I was playing.
  • Future → I will be playing.
PERFECT - What has/had/will have been completed?
  • Present → I have played.
  • Past → I had played.
  • Future → I will have played.

PERFECT CONTINUOUS - How long has/had/will it have been happening?
  • Present → I have been playing.
  • Past → I had been playing.
  • Future → I will have been playing.
8. ONE VERB – ALL 12 TENSES

Use "study" to show students how one verb changes.

Tense Sentence
  • Present Simple -  I study English.
  • Present Continuous - I am studying English.
  • Present Perfect - I have studied English.
  • Present Perfect Continuous - I have been studying English.
  • Past Simple - I studied English.
  • Past Continuous - I was studying English.
  • Past Perfect -  I had studied English.
  • Past Perfect Continuous - I had been studying English.
  • Future Simple - I will study English.
  • Future Continuous - I will be studying English.
  • Future Perfect - I will have studied English.
  • Future Perfect Continuous - I will have been studying English.

9. QUICK CLASSROOM QUESTIONS

Question 1 - "I go to school every day."

Which tense? → Simple Present

Question 2 - "I am going to school now."

Which tense? → Present Continuous

Question 3 - "I went to school yesterday."

Which tense? → Simple Past

Question 4 - "I will go to school tomorrow."

Which tense? → Simple Future

Question 5 - "I have finished my homework."

Which tense? → Present Perfect

Question 6 - "I have been studying for two hours."

Which tense? → Present Perfect Continuous

10. GOLDEN RULES FOR STUDENTS

  • Simple Present → V1
  • Simple Past → V2
  • Perfect → V3
  • Continuous → V4
  • After will → V1
  • has/have/had → V3
  • am/is/are/was/were → V4
  • been + V4 is used in Perfect Continuous.
  • Since tells us the starting point.
  • For tells us the duration.
One-line memory trick:
  • Simple = V1/V2
  • Continuous = V4
  • Perfect = V3
  • Perfect Continuous = been + V4


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class 7: The Flying Carpet by Pika Nani

The Flying Carpet (Only for Reading) Pika Nani   Notebook Work  Background of the Story The story The Flying Carpet is set in the remote and culturally rich village of Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, India. It revolves around a young girl, Sibsa, and her mother, Sangey, a skilled traditional weaver. The story beautifully blends elements of imagination, family bonds, and cultural heritage. It also highlights the life of handloom weavers and the importance of preserving traditional crafts in a rapidly modernising world. Summary  Sibsa hears a story about a flying carpet at school and becomes fascinated by it. She develops a strong desire to have a real flying carpet of her own. She asks her mother, Sangey, to weave a magical flying carpet for her. Sangey, a skilled weaver, lovingly begins creating a special carpet instead of a literal flying carpet. The carpet beautifully depicts the landscapes, culture, and life of Tawang. Sibsa slowly realizes that the true magi...

Class 8: Unit-8: George’s Secret Key to the Universe

George’s Secret Key to the Universe  Summary Only For Reading) George’s Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking “George’s Secret Key to the Universe” is an exciting story about a boy named George who stumbles upon a world of science and adventure. It all begins when George enters what he thinks is an abandoned house while looking for his pet. Inside, he meets Annie, a girl who lives there, and her father, Eric, a scientist. Their house is full of books and papers, but the most interesting thing George notices is Eric’s special computer, Cosmos. Cosmos is no ordinary computer. It is extremely powerful and can talk! Eric introduces George to Cosmos, and the computer explains that it can compute billions of numbers in a second and knows almost everything about the universe. George is fascinated, but before he can learn more, Cosmos insists that George must take an important Oath. The Oath promises that George will use any scientific knowledge he learns only for good, an...

Class - IX [Moments] Chapter - 8: A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso

Chapter - 8:  A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso Glossary 1. Awkward: strange 2. Freshman: a student in the first year of high school, college or university 3. Isolated: lonely 4. Purring: sound made by cat 5. Swatting: to hit something 6. Stoking the fire: feeding and tending the fire 7. Groping: to search blindly 8. Engulfed: flooded, surrounded by 9. In tow: behind 10. Weird: strange 11. Destined: future developed as per a predestined plan 12. Outcast: a person rejected by society 13. Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person 14. Zombie: a dull and apathetic person 15. Surreal: unreal, strange, bizarre 16. Ripped away: torn apart 17. Vulnerable: weak, easy to influence 18. Plight: sad story 19. Milling around: moving around aimlessly 20. Shove: push hard 21. Curb: edge of the pavement 22. Freaked: behaved irrationally 23. Tragedy: mishap 24. Diminish: fade off 25. Gratitude: thankfulness Overview of the Story: The s...