Skip to main content

Class 7 - TENSES

 Tenses — Class 7

1. What is a Tense?

A tense tells us the time of an action.

Example:

I played cricket. → Past
I play cricket. → Present
I will play cricket. → Future

Easy rule: Tense = Time of action

2. There are 3 Main Times

              TENSE
                │
      ┌─────────┼─────────┐
      ↓         ↓         ↓
     PAST     PRESENT    FUTURE
  happened      now     will happen

Past → before now
Present → now / regularly
Future → after now

3. Each Time Has 4 Forms

Every time has four ways of describing an action:

Type

Meaning

Example

Simple

normal action / habit

I play.

Continuous

action in progress

I am playing.

Perfect

completed action

I have played.

Perfect Continuous

action continuing for a period

I have been playing.

Therefore:

3 times × 4 forms = 12 tenses

4. Understand the Four Forms First

Tell students to ask these questions:

SIMPLE
"What happens?"
→ I play.

CONTINUOUS
"What is happening?"
→ I am playing.

PERFECT
"What has been completed?"
→ I have played.

PERFECT CONTINUOUS
"How long has it been happening?"
→ I have been playing for two hours.

This helps students understand the meaning before the formula.

5. Learn the Four Verb Forms


Use one verb:

Form

Name

Example

V1

Base form

play

V2

Past form

played

V3

Past participle

played

V4

-ing form

playing


Another example: go → went → gone → going

V1 = basic verb
V2 = past
V3 = used with perfect tenses
V4 = used with continuous tenses

6. Simple Tenses

Time Formula Example

Present S + V1 I play.
Past S + V2 I played.
Future S + will + V1 I will play.

Remember: Simple = basic action

7. Continuous Tenses

Continuous means the action is in progress.

Time Formula Example
Present am/is/are + V4 I am playing.
Past was/were + V4 I was playing.
Future will be + V4 I will be playing.

Golden rule: Continuous → V4

8. Perfect Tenses


Perfect means the action is completed.

Time Formula Example
Present has/have + V3 I have played.
Past had + V3 I had played.
Future will have + V3 I will have played.

Golden rule: Perfect → V3

9. Perfect Continuous Tenses

This tells us about an action that continues for a period of time.

Time Formula Example
Present has/have been + V4 I have been playing.
Past had been + V4 I had been playing.
Future will have been + V4 I will have been playing.

These often use since or for.

I have been studying for two hours.
She has been studying since morning.

Golden rule:

Perfect Continuous → been + V4

10. Final Master Chart

SIMPLE

CONTINUOUS

PERFECT

PERFECT CONTINUOUS

🟢 Present

I play

I am playing

I have played

I have been playing

🔵 Past

I played

I was playing

I had played

I had been playing

🟠 Future

I will play

I will be playing

I will have played

I will have been playing

 ⭐ The 4 Rules Students Should Memorise

Simple → V1 / V2
Continuous → V4
Perfect → V3
Perfect Continuous → been + V4

And the easiest way to identify any tense is:

First ask WHEN? → Past / Present / Future
Then ask HOW? → Simple / Continuous / Perfect / Perfect Continuous


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Class 7: The Flying Carpet by Pika Nani

The Flying Carpet (Only for Reading) Pika Nani   Notebook Work  Background of the Story The story The Flying Carpet is set in the remote and culturally rich village of Tawang in Arunachal Pradesh, India. It revolves around a young girl, Sibsa, and her mother, Sangey, a skilled traditional weaver. The story beautifully blends elements of imagination, family bonds, and cultural heritage. It also highlights the life of handloom weavers and the importance of preserving traditional crafts in a rapidly modernising world. Summary  Sibsa hears a story about a flying carpet at school and becomes fascinated by it. She develops a strong desire to have a real flying carpet of her own. She asks her mother, Sangey, to weave a magical flying carpet for her. Sangey, a skilled weaver, lovingly begins creating a special carpet instead of a literal flying carpet. The carpet beautifully depicts the landscapes, culture, and life of Tawang. Sibsa slowly realizes that the true magi...

Class 8: Unit-8: George’s Secret Key to the Universe

George’s Secret Key to the Universe  Summary Only For Reading) George’s Secret Key to the Universe by Lucy and Stephen Hawking “George’s Secret Key to the Universe” is an exciting story about a boy named George who stumbles upon a world of science and adventure. It all begins when George enters what he thinks is an abandoned house while looking for his pet. Inside, he meets Annie, a girl who lives there, and her father, Eric, a scientist. Their house is full of books and papers, but the most interesting thing George notices is Eric’s special computer, Cosmos. Cosmos is no ordinary computer. It is extremely powerful and can talk! Eric introduces George to Cosmos, and the computer explains that it can compute billions of numbers in a second and knows almost everything about the universe. George is fascinated, but before he can learn more, Cosmos insists that George must take an important Oath. The Oath promises that George will use any scientific knowledge he learns only for good, an...

Class - IX [Moments] Chapter - 8: A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso

Chapter - 8:  A House is not a Home by Zan Gaudioso Glossary 1. Awkward: strange 2. Freshman: a student in the first year of high school, college or university 3. Isolated: lonely 4. Purring: sound made by cat 5. Swatting: to hit something 6. Stoking the fire: feeding and tending the fire 7. Groping: to search blindly 8. Engulfed: flooded, surrounded by 9. In tow: behind 10. Weird: strange 11. Destined: future developed as per a predestined plan 12. Outcast: a person rejected by society 13. Geek: an unfashionable or socially inept person 14. Zombie: a dull and apathetic person 15. Surreal: unreal, strange, bizarre 16. Ripped away: torn apart 17. Vulnerable: weak, easy to influence 18. Plight: sad story 19. Milling around: moving around aimlessly 20. Shove: push hard 21. Curb: edge of the pavement 22. Freaked: behaved irrationally 23. Tragedy: mishap 24. Diminish: fade off 25. Gratitude: thankfulness Overview of the Story: The s...