Wordsmith and Grammarium Solved Practice Questions
A. Practice Sentences (Fill in
the blanks)
- I saw an elephant at the zoo.
- The book on the table is
mine.
- He doesn’t have much money.
- A few friends came to visit
us.
- Whose pen is this?
- The apples in the basket are
ripe.
- She has no idea what happened.
- I bought an umbrella yesterday.
- There isn’t much sugar left in the jar.
- The dog is barking outside
our house.
- Can you lend me a pencil?
- Which colour do you prefer –
blue or green?
- He invited all of his classmates to the
party.
- My brother is in the army.
- The girl who won the prize
is my cousin.
- I would like to have one more piece of cake.
- They don’t have many books to study from.
- Whose house is that across the
road?
- We spent several days at the beach.
- She has read many interesting stories.
B. Choose the Correct
Determiner
- I have little patience for noise.
- There are many students in the classroom.
- She gave me this pen to write with.
- He made a few mistakes in the test.
- We do not have enough time to waste.
- There is less water in the tank today.
- She has much confidence in herself.
- I saw several birds on the tree.
- He has a little knowledge of French.
- There were fewer people at the meeting.
C. Underline the Determiner in
Each Sentence
- My sister loves reading
books.
- Each student must submit the
homework.
- That house looks very old.
- Several people attended the
meeting.
- His ideas are very creative.
- Every child needs care and
love.
- These shoes are too tight.
- No student was absent
today.
- Some flowers were kept on the
table.
- Her answer was correct.
D. Fill in the Blanks with
Suitable Possessive Determiners
- She forgot her notebook at home.
- The dog wagged its tail happily.
- We are proud of our school.
- He lost his wallet yesterday.
- The children finished their work on time.
- I have brought my lunch from home.
- She shared her toys with her friends.
- The teacher appreciated your efforts.
- The bird built its nest on the tree.
- They invited their relatives for the function.
E. Tick (✔) the Correct Determiner
- She has ___ patience.
✔ much - ___ students were absent today.
✔ Several - I did not eat ___ food at the party.
✔ any - There are ___ chairs in the hall.
✔ many - He has ___ interest in sports.
✔ little - ___ books were kept on the shelf.
✔ These
F. Rewrite the Sentences Using
the Determiner Given
- I have books to read. (many)
I have many books to read. - She drank water. (some)
She drank some water. - There was sugar in the tea. (little)
There was little sugar in the tea. - He has friends in the city. (few)
He has few friends in the city. - We saw birds in the garden. (several)
We saw several birds in the garden. - She needs help with her work. (some)
She needs some help with her work.
G. Identify the Type of
Determiner Used
- These flowers are beautiful. → Demonstrative
- Her performance was excellent. → Possessive
- An apple a day keeps the doctor away. → Articles
- Much effort is needed to succeed. → Quantitative
- That building is very old. → Demonstrative
- Several students participated in the competition. → Quantitative
- My bag is on the chair. → Possessive
- The sun was shining brightly. → Articles
REPORTED SPEECH
Exercise 1: Change into Reported
Speech
- She said that she was happy.
- He said that they had finished their homework.
- John said that he had seen her the previous day.
- They said that they would visit their grandma.
- She said that she could swim very well.
Exercise 2: Report the
Questions
- She asked if I spoke French.
- He asked where I lived.
- They asked if she was my sister.
- The teacher asked why I had been late.
- Mom asked if I had eaten lunch.
Exercise 3: Reported Commands
and Requests
- The officer told me to stand in a line.
- My mother asked me to be careful.
- He told me not to touch that.
- The doctor told me to take that medicine every day.
- She told me to help my brother.
Mixed Practice: Reported
Speech
- He said that he was reading a novel.
- She said that they had finished their homework.
- They said that they would go to the park the next
day.
- The teacher said that the earth revolves around the
sun.
- I told him that he looked tired.
- The teacher told us to close our books.
- The guard told us not to enter the building.
- She told the child to clean his/her room.
- He told me to wait there till he returned.
- The officer told us to stand in a queue.
- She asked me to help her with her luggage.
- He asked the waiter to bring some water.
- I asked my friend to explain that topic again.
- The old man asked the boy to call the doctor.
- The student asked the librarian to issue that book.
- He asked me where I lived.
- She asked me what I was doing then.
- They asked me if I would join them for lunch.
- He asked me if I had seen that movie.
- She asked her friend if she liked coffee.
Convert into Direct Speech
- He said, “I am going to the market.”
- She said to me, “I have completed my project.”
- They said, “We will join you later.”
- The teacher said, “The sun rises in the east.”
- I said to him, “You look very happy.”
- The teacher said to the students, “Open your books.”
- The policeman ordered the man, “Do not cross the
road.”
- She said to the child, “Keep quiet.”
- He said to me, “Wait outside the room.”
- The coach said to the team, “Practise every day.”
- She said to me, “Please lend me your book.”
- The boy said to the teacher, “Please help me solve
the sum.”
- I said to my friend, “Please wait for me.”
- The woman said to the conductor, “Please stop the
bus.”
- The tourist said to the man, “Please show me the
way.”
- He said to me, “Where do you live?”
- She said to me, “What are you doing at this moment?”
- They said to me, “Will you come to the party?”
- He said to me, “Have you seen my phone?”
- She said to her friend, “Do you like the movie?”
SUBJECT VERB
AGREEMENT
Practice: Fill in the Blanks —
Answers
- Each
of the students is present.
- The
dogs and the cat are in the yard.
- The
jury are divided in their opinion.
- My
mother and my best friend are coming over.
- Either
my shoes or your bag is under the table.
- The
pair of shoes is new.
- Neither
John nor his friends are responsible.
- A
lot of water is wasted every day.
- There
is a book and a pen on the desk.
- Politics
is a sensitive topic.
- The
list of items is on the table.
- Neither
the teacher nor the students are ready.
- My
trousers are too tight.
- The
team is practising hard.
- Ten
rupees is not enough.
- Everyone
is happy.
- Either
Rina or her sisters are going.
- Mathematics
is easy for her.
- There
is a pen and two books on the desk.
- Bread
and butter is served.
- Each
of the boys is doing well.
- A
bouquet of roses is on the table.
- The
news is not good.
- The
police are looking for the thief.
- A
number of students are absent.
- The
number of students is increasing.
- Measles
is a serious disease.
- The
children are playing outside.
- Neither
she nor I am responsible.
- Here
are your shoes.
- The
list of items is on the table.
- Each
of the boys is given a prize.
- Neither
Rohan nor his friends are coming to the party.
- The
quality of the apples is not very good.
- Mathematics
is my favourite subject.
- The
children are playing in the park.
- Everyone
is ready for the trip.
- Either
the cat or the dogs are to be taken to the vet.
- A
group of tourists is visiting the museum today.
- Neither
the manager nor the clerk is aware of the mistake.
- The
scissors are kept in the drawer.
- Much
of the information is outdated.
- Either
the books or the notebook is missing.
TENSES
Practice Exercises: Tenses —
Answers
- He
goes to school every day.
- I
am reading a book right now.
- They
have finished their work already.
- We
were watching a movie at 8 PM yesterday.
- She
has been working here since 2020.
- By
next year, he will have graduated.
- The
students were writing the test when the bell rang.
- I
have been learning French for six months.
- You
will see that film tomorrow.
- She
was cooking dinner when I arrived.
- She
always wakes up early.
- We
were eating lunch when the phone rang.
- I
will have finished the book by tomorrow.
- They
have been watching the match since 6 o’clock.
- He
did not go to the party last night.
- By
next week, we will have been living here for a year.
- The
sun is shining brightly right now.
- She
was writing a letter when I entered the room.
- Have you seen
that movie already?
- He
runs every morning before school.
- I
have not heard the news yet.
- They
travelled to Europe last summer.
- I
have been waiting here for 30 minutes.
- We
will build a new house next year.
- My
brother played the guitar when he was 10.
- She
has been cleaning the room all morning.
- I
think it will rain soon.
- He
has been teaching at this school since 2015.
- She
drives to work every morning.
- I
am solving a difficult problem at the moment.
- They
had arrived at the station before the train left.
- We
will celebrate our anniversary next month.
- He
was sleeping when the alarm went off.
- I
will have completed my project by the end of this week.
- She
has been practising classical dance for five years.
- The
children played in the park yesterday evening.
- He
has been repairing the bicycle since morning.
- I
believe she will succeed.
- They
are discussing the matter right now.
- She
forgot her keys at home this morning.
- We
will visit our grandparents during the holidays.
- He
was preparing for the exam all night.
- I
recognised him the moment I saw him.
- They
organised the event last year.
- She
will have received a reply by tomorrow.
- He
has improved his handwriting lately.
- We
will plant trees on Environment Day.
- I
promise to help you with the work.
Letter to
the Editor and Descriptive Writing
Practice Question 1:
Priya Sharma
Lajpat Nagar, Delhi
21 August 2026
The Editor
The Times of India
New Delhi
Subject: Rising Noise Pollution in Lajpat Nagar
Sir/Madam,
Through the columns of your esteemed newspaper, I wish to
highlight the increasing noise pollution in Lajpat Nagar. Loudspeakers during
functions and religious events, constant honking and heavy traffic have become
a serious concern for residents.
The continuous noise disturbs students, senior citizens
and patients. It also affects sleep, concentration and overall well-being,
especially during peak traffic hours and late-night events.
The authorities should strictly enforce noise regulations
and take action against unnecessary honking and loudspeakers. I request you to
publish this letter in your esteemed newspaper to create awareness among
citizens and encourage them to follow noise-control norms.
Yours faithfully,
Priya Sharma
Practice Question 2:
Rohan Mehta
Bhopal
21 August 2026
The Editor
The Hindustan Times
Bhopal
Subject: Problem of Waterlogging During the Rainy Season
Sir/Madam,
Through the columns of your esteemed newspaper, I wish to
highlight the serious problem of waterlogging in our area during the rainy
season. Even moderate rainfall leaves roads and streets flooded for hours,
making travel difficult.
Stagnant water causes traffic congestion, foul odour and
an increased risk of water-borne diseases. Blocked and inadequate drainage
systems further worsen the situation, causing inconvenience to pedestrians and
motorists.
The authorities should clean and widen drains before the
monsoon and ensure regular removal of garbage. I request you to publish this
letter in your esteemed newspaper to create awareness about the issue and urge
the authorities to improve the drainage system.
Yours faithfully,
Rohan Mehta
Practice Question 3:
Anjali Verma
Sector 15, Gurugram
21 August 2026
The Editor
The Tribune
Chandigarh
Subject: Rising Problem of Stray Dogs in Sector 15
Sir/Madam,
Through the columns of your esteemed newspaper, I wish to
highlight the growing problem of stray dogs in Sector 15, Gurugram. Their
increasing number has become a concern for residents, especially children,
senior citizens and people returning home late at night.
Frequent barking, chasing vehicles and occasional attacks
have created fear and inconvenience. Improper disposal of food waste further
aggravates the problem by attracting stray dogs to residential areas.
The authorities should conduct regular sterilisation and
vaccination drives and ensure proper garbage management. I request you to
publish this letter to create awareness among residents and authorities and
encourage them to take humane and effective measures to address the problem.
Yours faithfully,
Anjali Verma
DESCRIPTIVE WRITING
Practice question 1
Last Sunday, I visited a local fair with
my family and noticed a talented street performer near the main entrance. He
was a young man dressed in a bright red kurta and a colourful turban. He
entertained the crowd by performing juggling tricks with balls, rings and
burning torches. His quick movements and confident expressions kept everyone
fascinated. Children watched him with excitement while adults clapped and
cheered. Between his performances, he played a small drum and invited people to
join him. Despite having only a small space and simple equipment, he managed to
create a lively and joyful atmosphere.
Practice question 2
Last Saturday, I attended my cousin’s
birthday celebration at her home. The house was beautifully decorated with
balloons, ribbons and fairy lights. Our relatives and close friends arrived in
the evening, and everyone looked cheerful and excited. The birthday cake was
placed on a decorated table, and we gathered around to sing the birthday song.
My cousin cut the cake and shared it with everyone. We enjoyed delicious
snacks, played a few fun games and took many photographs. Later, we sat
together and chatted. The celebration was simple but full of laughter and
warmth. I returned
Practice question 3
My grandfather is the person who inspires me the most. He
is a calm, kind and disciplined man who has always taught me the value of hard
work and honesty. Even at his age, he remains active and independent. He begins
his day early, reads the newspaper and spends time helping others in our
neighbourhood. What I admire most is his positive attitude towards life.
Whenever I face a problem, he listens patiently and guides me without judging
me. He often reminds me that success is not only about achieving our goals but
also about becoming a good human being. His wisdom, patience and simple way of
living inspire me every day.
Comments
Post a Comment